SULAIMANI (NRT) — The Kurdistan Communities Union (KCK) Executive Council Co-chair, Cemil Bayik, said Turkey’s National Intelligence Organization (MIT) plans to launch an operation against the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) from the Kurdistan Region.
Bayik said on Tuesday (August 29) the PKK had prevented and demolished “another conspiracy of the Turkish state.”
The KCK leader further said they have information that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) leader Devlet Bahceli plan to attack the PKK through the Turkish army, MIT and special operations.
There are MIT branches in the Kurdistan Region working to launch special operations, Bayik added.
“South Kurdistan [the Kurdistan Region] parties must not be involved in those conspiracies of Turkey’s MIT. We hope it is that way, otherwise, they would have participated in the hostility against the PKK and the Kurdish nation,” Bayik continued.
His remarks came after the KCK and the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK) confirmed two members of Turkey’s MIT were detained by the PKK in the province of Sulaimani.
KCK leadership member Dyar Gharib confirmed on Monday (August 28) the capture of some members of Turkey’s MIT in the region, threatening to release photos and the identities of the MIT members to the media.
PUK Leadership member Farid Asasard told NRT on the sidelines of a forum titled “Media and the Referendum” on Sunday (August 27) that Turkey had called on the PUK to find two people who have gone missing in the city of Sulaimani.
Sources told NRT on Saturday (August 26) that the MIT members intended to carry out several activities including attempts to “assassinate” a top PKK leader. The PKK monitored the MIT members and took them to the Qandil Mountains.
Tensions between Ankara and the PUK have remained intense after the expelling of a PUK representative in Ankara which followed the abduction of two MIT members in the party zone in the Kurdistan Region. Turkey expelled the PUK representative in Ankara, Bahroz Galali, along with his family on Thursday (August 24).
Galali said during a press conference earlier this week that the Turkish Foreign Ministry had informed him the PUK’s office in Ankara had to be closed and he had to return to the Kurdistan Region due to an incident which took place in the PUK zone in the Kurdistan Region.
PUK Politburo member Saadi Ahmed Pira told NRT on Thursday Turkey wanted the PUK and its representative to pay the price for an incident which Ankara has not been successful.
The PKK’s three-decade armed struggle against the Turkish government flared up again last year after the collapse of a two-year cease-fire and settlement process, plunging Turkey’s predominantly Kurdish southeast back into open conflict between Turkish security forces and the PKK.