SOUTHWEST ASIA – On Sept. 20, coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria and Iraq. In Syria, coalition military forces conducted five airstrikes using fighter and bomber aircraft. Separately in Iraq, coalition military forces conducted 22 airstrikes coordinated with the government of Iraq using, bomber, fighter, fighter-attack and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL targets.
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted against ISIL by International coalition:
• Near Al Hasakah, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL armored personnel carrier.
• Near Al Hawl, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL building and an ISIL rocket launcher.
• Near Dayr Az Zawr, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed two ISIL checkpoints.
• Near Mar’a, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL mortar.
• Near Al Huawayjah, two airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
• Near Bayji, one airstrike struck a large ISIL tactical unit and destroyed two ISIL buildings.
• Near Habbaniya, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroyed two ISIL buildings, an ISIL mortar system, an ISIL anti-aircraft artillery piece, and an ISIL technical vehicle.
• Near Kisik, four airstrikes struck four ISIL tactical units and destroyed three ISIL fighting positions, an ISIL light machine gun and an ISIL vehicle.
• Near Mosul, nine airstrikes struck a large ISIL tactical unit, three ISIL tactical units and destroyed five ISIL fighting positions, an ISIL VBIED facility, an ISIL bunker, an ISIL heavy machine gun, an ISIL building, an ISIL C2 node and wounded an ISIL fighter.
• Near Qayyarah, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
• Near Ramadi, two airstrikes destroyed an ISIL homemade explosive chache, an ISIL vehicle and ISIL mortar system.
• Near Sinjar, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL fighting position.
• Near Tal Afar, one airstrike destroyed eight ISIL bunkers and suppressed two ISIL mortar positions.
Strike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Iraq include Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, Netherlands, United Kingdom and United States. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Syria include Australia, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates and the U.S.