SOUTHWEST ASIA – On Aug. 16, coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria and Iraq. In Syria, coalition military forces conducted five airstrikes using fighter and remotely piloted aircraft. Separately in Iraq, coalition military forces conducted 13 airstrikes coordinated with the government of Iraq using attack, bomber, fighter, fighter-attack and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL targets.
“Coalition airstrikes and the ISF have produced devastating results against Daesh terrorists in the vicinity of the Bayji oil refinery,” said Brig. Gen. Kevin Killea, chief of staff, CJTF-OIR. “The area remains contested, but we have disrupted Daesh’s freedom of movement and they have suffered significant personnel losses in their counterattacks.”
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted against ISIL on August 16:
• Near Al Hasakah, two airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units and destroyed three ISIL fighting positions.
• Near Aleppo, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed three ISIL fighting positions and an ISIL anti-tank weapon.
• Near Kobani, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL mortar firing position.
• Near Al Qaim, one airstrike struck an ISIL checkpoint.
• Near Bayji, two airstrikes struck an ISIL large tactical unit and destroyed nine ISIL vehicles, seven ISIL buildings and three ISIL VBIEDs.
• Near Habbaniyah, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed two ISIL mortar systems and an ISIL mortar cache.
• Near Makhmur, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL weapons cache.
• Near Mosul, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL heavy machine gun and an ISIL rocket firing position.
• Near Ramadi, three airstrikes struck three ISIL tactical units and destroyed two ISIL heavy machine guns, an ISIL building, an ISIL VBIED and an ISIL vehicle.
• Near Sinjar, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL heavy machine gun firing position and destroyed three ISIL fighting positions, an ISIL heavy machine gun and an ISIL light machine gun.
• Near Tuz, one airstrike destroyed 10 ISIL fighting positions.
Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Iraq include Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, Netherlands, United Kingdom and United States. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Syria include Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and the U.S.